Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo – One of America’s Best Road Side Attractions



“Well there she sits buddy just a-gleaming in the sun
there to greet a working man when his day is done
I’m gonna pack my pa, gonna pack my aunt
I’m gonna take them down to the Cadlillac Ranch”

                                                - Charles Jones, Chris Waters

I did a tour through West Texas this week on business and brought my camera and gear with me.  Knowing I’d be spending a lot of time on the road, I didn’t want to take a chance of missing something cool to photograph.  I had heard of the Cadlillac Ranch in Amarillo, but even though I had been to this city in the Texas pan handle a half dozen times, I had never been to this bizarre landmark.  I’ll be posting this and other pictures of the trip this weekend in the gallery on my website at www.douggraybealphotography.com.  I also have to give credit to Amber Hunter who modeled for me.  She braved 39 degree weather and 40 mile an hour winds (not to mention stepping over and around a lot of cow dung in high heels) and never complained.  Way to go, Amber.  You’re a true professional.

In 1974, local billionaire Stanley Marsh 3 (apparently he doesn’t like the Roman numeral III) commissioned hippies from San Francisco to create a piece of art on Route 66 that would get the motorist’s attention.  They called themselves the Ant Farm and created Cadillac Ranch.  It now sits about 10 minutes West of Amarillo.  It consists of 10 Cadillacs buried nose end in the ground in the middle of a working cattle ranch.  Over the years, people have stripped them of anything possible and spray painted their own message on the cars, but somehow, that just adds to the attraction. 

I’ll write more about the Cadillac Ranch in next week’s blogs, but I couldn’t wait to get at least one pic up for you to see.  Cadillac Ranch just proves that anyone, anywhere can surprise you.  Amarillo is a good ole Texas town.  It is a long way from anywhere and is the center for cattle ranching and cotton farming for hundreds of miles in to New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas.  It is the kind of place where not much changes and the locals like it that way.  The land is flat and the trees are sparse.  Not too many city folk would want to settle there and I suppose the locals like that, too.  And then there is the Cadillac Ranch – a quirky piece of public art created by an eccentric rich guy and some hippies nearly 40 years ago and still thriving. 

There is a lot that is inspiring about this place:  the creation itself and the fact that it has held its popularity after all these years, are a few examples.  But what inspires me the most is the contrast between hippie infused art and small town conservative America.  And yet, everyone loves it.  Stories and poems have been written about Cadillac Ranch.  Many photo essay’s have dealt with it, too.  Since visiting it this week, I couldn’t get Bruce Springsteen’s rendition of the song out of my head. I’ll post more photos on Monday and Wednesday next week.  In the mean time, click this link to share in the spirit and feel free to comment here on my blog about your favorite quirky roadside art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

have a thought? Leave a message...