Monday, September 27, 2010

New Orleans Stands Out with History and Culture



The French Quarter in New Orleans has an endless supply of subjects for fine art and travel photography. It is like no other city in the U.S. and reminds me of my time in Europe in the late 80’s and early 90’s.  This pic can be found in the gallery on my web site under Nola and was taken one morning this past summer. 

In Europe, you’ll see these sidewalk posts everywhere.  I suppose they installed them because the streets are so narrow that they keep the cars on the rode and off the sidewalks.  You’ll see them in other places in the U.S., but not as many and usually not decorative.  It’s not just the sidewalk posts that make the French Quarter look like Europe.  The architecture is mostly from the 1700’s to early 1800’s.  They’ve done a great job preserving a culture that is distinctive, flamboyant and historical.  If you’ve been there, you know what I mean.  If you haven’t been there, you need to go.

I like a simple photograph that tells a story.  This pic does just that.  I wonder who owns the bike in the background.  Where did they come from and why did they tie their bike up here. Since it is easy to go back in time in New Orleans, I wonder what it was like when the city was young and starting out.  Was it easy to spot a pirate, as legend would have you believe?

Travelling is one of my favorite hobbies.  Experiencing a new culture, meeting new people, tasting new food, hearing new music and being alive in a place you don’t know much about is good for the soul.  Some folks might say, “stop and smell the roses.  I say, “Stop and admire the sidewalk posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

have a thought? Leave a message...